Thursday, June 25, 2009

God, What Would You Do Without Me?

I'm a tad frustrated with bureaucracy of the Catholic Church. "Tad" may be an understatement. But the Church is a reflection of God Almighty. So, my frustration is with God, actually.

While explaining my latest frustration, to my loveliness (Pam, my wife) I let out with a joking exclamation, throwing my hands into the air: "God!? What would you do without me?"

We laughed.

Then, I thought that my whining would be a great title of a book or a blog. Imagine all the funny, self-deprecating things you would write about... even in the words of historical figures. We could start with creation, and why did it take billions of years to create the universe? Bureaucracy no doubt. It's tough getting billions upon billions of electrons lined up to make a clump of coal, let alone a fusion-fired star. Probably harder than herding cats.

Then Pam said, "How about 'ARROGANCE IN UNIFORM'. That's good. Finally she said to me, as I stood in the hall starring at the floor thinking, just outside the bathroom where she was curling her hair -- "Don't calm down, get going!"

So, I came in here to write this.

3 comments:

  1. Stan,
    There's already a movie about this. It's called "It's a Wonderful Life."
    God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. May I meet your wife? She seems like my kind of gal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roz, what was funny about Pam's line "Don't calm down, get going." -- was that it was the opposite of what she is normally saying to me, "Calm down, talk a day off."

    ReplyDelete