Sunday, October 27, 2013

Today is Priesthood Sunday

[A GRAMBUS post.]
Today, October 27th this year, is Priesthood Sunday.  I did not know that we could write a letter of appreciation that would be published in The Michigan Catholic Newspaper until I picked up an edition in our Church foyer at Holy Family yesterday.  I would have written about my priest in a heartbeat.  How could I have missed this opportunity?  But, why not make an opportunity to publish my heartfelt thanks?

Dear Fr. Bob LaCroix,

Since becoming Catholic 15 years ago, I have had the privilege of being under the pastorship of 4 wonderful priests, and each one was right for the particular time of my journey to understand and love the Church I had been estranged from for the first 50 years of my life.  You were saved for my most needy years.  Years of vocational conflict, familial challenges, and most recently, my transition into retirement.  Your council and pastoral help has kept me on track in my relationship with God and those I love.

Retiring last year allowed me to begin attending daily mass, and that is where I have come to enjoy the closest relationship I have ever had with God.  I get fed every day through His Word, the Holy Eucharist, and your "personal" homilies.  Every day, I look forward to how you will bring the scriptures for the day alive to me.  You don't just speak about them.  You ask sweet but pointed questions of those gathered together, that cause us to examine our thinking and decisions and understanding of the scriptures focused on.  I feel like I am with Jesus and He is guiding me through my own personal life.  I discover things about myself and about Him every day that help me to live my life a little closer to His holy will.  I can't thank you enough for being a priest, and a holy one. You challenge all of your parishioners to think critically about ourselves, our lives with God and with others.  I am never disappointed.  Your message is always on target to me.

In addition, I know you have given the mass thousands of times as a priest, but you take the time—every time—to say it as if you are right there, at the Last Supper with Jesus, inviting us to join you at the very Supper of the Lamb.  I am so blessed to be in this holy place at this time in my life. Thank you for being a priest.  Thank you for being Christ to me and for bringing Christ to me every day.

In humble gratitude,

Pam Williams


No comments:

Post a Comment